Thattu Idli without idli stand

Thattu idli, is a special variety of idli, prepared with sago.

Adding sago makes it very soft.

1. Raw rice- 2 cups
2. Idli rice-2 cups
3. Urad dhal- 1 cup
4. Sago- 2 cups
5. Fenugreek - 1 tbsp.

We tasted this Thatte Idli during our last visit to Karnataka,India and have always wanted to try this recipe.



Soak all the rice and sago together for 4 hours. Soak Urad dhal and Fenugreek separately.

Grind together adding salt in a wet grinder.

Allow to ferment overnight.

I have only an idiappam stand and here is how I managed.

I bought some banana leaves, cut them to suit the idiappam plates and I greased the leaves with sesame oil and steamed them.



 


In ten minutes, we got best thattu idlies that goes well with chutneys, sambar or podi.

Happy Cooking!

These idlies were not very white as these were cooked in leaves.

That is okay for someone like me who does not want to add another utensil to my small kitchen.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dum Puliyodharai/ Puli Sadham/ Temple Style Tamarind Rice

Palak Paneer

Thamarai Thandu Vendhaya More Kozhambu (Dried Lotus roots and Fenugreek Gravy)